Question Concerning FLUKA

From: Christopher Knievel (Christopher.Knievel@lightsource.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 20:32:55 CET

Dear Mr. Battistoni,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Chris Knievel. I am an undergraduate student in the Department of Physics at the University of Saskatchewan in Canada. I am currently working on a project through the Canadian Light Source with Dr. Mohamed Benmerrouche. I am conducting a study of induced radioactivity caused by stray radiation fields at the CLS facility. I plan to simulate the interaction using the FLUKA2002 software package. In our study, we will create a stray radiation field with a low incident electron beam energy of 2.9 GeV. We hope that these simulations will prove useful in determining induced radioactivity in our facility.

I am new to this type of computer programming and I am learning everything about Linux and FLUKA as I go along. I saw your example on the website and I was trying to reproduce it. It was the demonstration of simple muon transport with an example on how to link FLUKA with the CERN library in order to utilize HBOOK functionality. It is a very interesting example and very easy to follow along. Even though the example does not have much relevance to my project, I would like to see if my installation of FLUKA is running correctly and if I get appropriate data outpur files. However, I ran into a problem however when I went to compile the GEODEN.f fortran file. The other files compiled correctly all except the GEODEN.f file. This is the error that the fff script gave me:
MAIN__:
GEODEN.f: In program `MAIN__':
GEODEN.f:13:
         REAL*4 XTUP(nntuple)
         1
GEODEN.f:21: (continued):
         ENTRY GEOBDX ( IJ, XA, YA, ZA, TXX, TYY, TZZ, MREG, NWREG,
         2
Statement at (2) invalid in context established by statement at (1)
GEODEN.f:24:
         IF(MREG.EQ.3.AND.NWREG.EQ.4) THEN ! Select the desired boundary
         ^
End of source file before end of block started at (^)
GEODEN.f:43:
            WRITE(LUNERR,1000) ECONTR,ICALL,IJ,MREG,NEWREG,IEST
                         ^
Undefined label, first referenced at (^)
GEODEN.f:24: warning: `nwreg' might be used uninitialized in this function
GEODEN.f:29: warning: `xa' might be used uninitialized in this function
GEODEN.f:30: warning: `ya' might be used uninitialized in this function
GEODEN.f:31: warning: `za' might be used uninitialized in this function
GEODEN.f:32: warning: `txx' might be used uninitialized in this function
GEODEN.f:33: warning: `tyy' might be used uninitialized in this function
GEODEN.f:34: warning: `tzz' might be used uninitialized in this function
GEODEN.f:42: warning: `zerzer' might be used uninitialized in this function
GEODEN.f:43: warning: `lunerr' might be used uninitialized in this function

The GEODEN.f file is exactly the same as the one given on the website (http://lxmi.mi.infn.it/~battist/fluka_hbk/node10.html). I am at a loss for what exactly the problem is since the other files compiled fine. I am running FLUKA on a Linux system with a f77 compiler for Fortran I believe. Any information at this point would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,
Chris Knievel