Re: photon beam divergence

From: Alberto Fasso' (fasso@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 04:21:23 CEST

    Dear Chiara,

    your mail is not completely clear to me.

    You speak about the beam divergence, but you say that you use the
    source routine to sample the x-y coordinates.
    So, do you want a gaussian distribution for the beam profile (coordinates)
    or for the beam angle (divergence), or for both?

    You say also that you have tried to define the beam divergence using WHAT(3) in
    BEAM card or DIVBM in source but you didn't get good results.
    What did you get exactly? In which way they weren't good?

    While waiting for a more detailed explanation from you, I want to call your
    attention on a couple of points.

    1) At least until some time ago, the beam profile and divergence
    were working correctly only for a beam directed along the positive
    z-direction. I think that this restriction has been removed now (Alfredo please
    confirm!) but I see that you are not using the most recent version, so
    perhaps that could be the reason for your problems.

    2) I see the following lines in your source:
          UBEAM1 = -0.3
          UBEAM2 = 0.3
          VBEAM1 = -0.3
          VBEAM2 = 0.3
          X1 = 0.5
          Y1 = 0.5
    When writing FLUKA user routines, write ALWAYS the numerical constants
    in double precision (with a "d"):
          UBEAM1 = -0.3d0
          UBEAM2 = 0.3d0
          VBEAM1 = -0.3d0
          VBEAM2 = 0.3d0
          X1 = 0.5d0
          Y1 = 0.5d0
    especially if cosines are concerned.
    I don't think if that could be the cause of your problems, but is
    certainly safe

    3) There is a FLUKA routine which does the sampling from a gaussian
    distribution: it is called FLNRRN and it is called as follows:
          CALL FLNRRN (GAUSS)
    where GAUSS is a random number normally distributed.
    That routine has also an entry which allows to sample two such numbers
    with a single call, so you can save some time:
          CALL FLNRR2 (GAUSS1, GAUSS2)

    Alberto

    --
    Alberto Fassò
    SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025