Re: Use of DPMJET

From: Alfredo Ferrari (alfredo.ferrari@cern.ch)
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 09:08:39 CEST

    Dear Gabriel

    I can only guess, but it seem that your scoring is by far too narrow
    in the transverse dimension. I don't believe DPMJET has anything to do
    with the problem you see, rather when you activate full ion transport
    you get multiple Coulomb scattering as well which is very likely to bring
    the beam outside the 100 um transverse scoring area you are using.

    The Bragg peak exists only if you integrate radially, it is well known
    that *for a pencil beam* on axis there is no peak at all but rather a
    constant decrease since particles are scattered out. Of course for
    a broad beam you see the peak also on-axis.

                      Ciao
                     Alfredo

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Gabriel Sawakuchi wrote:

    > Dear Users,
    >
    > I am getting unexpected results when using flukadpm or
    > flukadpm3.
    > I am trying to score doses at different depths (Bragg
    > curve) using the USRBIN card. When I activate DPMJET
    > with EVENTYPE card [WHAT(3) = 2.0] my doses at
    > increasing depths decreases and I do not get the
    > expected Bragg peak. When I run the same input file
    > with no DPMJET it gives me good results.
    >
    > Am I missing something in my input file (attached) ?.
    > I would appreciate any help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gabriel
    >
    > Gabriel Oliveira Sawakuchi
    >
    > Oklahoma State University
    > Department of Physics
    > 145 Physical Sciences
    > Stillwater, OK 74078-3072
    >
    > phone: +1 405 744 6455
    > fax: +1 405 744 6811

    > http://mail.yahoo.com

    |  Alfredo Ferrari                ||  Tel.: +41.22.767.6119                  |
    |  CERN-AB                        ||  Fax.: +41.22.767.7555                  |
    |  1211 Geneva 23                 ||  e-mail: Alfredo.Ferrari@cern.ch        |
    |  Switzerland                    ||          Alfredo.Ferrari@mi.infn.it     |