RE: a complex source

From: Lee, Kerry T. \(JSC-SF\)[LMIT] (kerry.t.lee@nasa.gov)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2006 - 05:30:03 CET

    ------_=_NextPart_001_01C72001.B0F9F80B

    Hi Fanoos,

    There are several ways that I have done this. All them can either =
    result in creating a single primary at each call to SOURCE or you may =
    create all the source particles first in a file and read them one at a =
    time within the SOURCE routine.

    1) You can write your own routine to sample your spectrum and set the =
    energy in source.f (see the example source.f supplied with the FLUKA =
    code in $FLUPRO/usrmvax, or if you'd like I'd be happy to share the one =
    I have with you).

    2) If you can write/fit your energy distribution with an algebraic =
    function you may use ROOT (root.cern.ch) and create a TF1 object with =
    this function. Then simply call TF1::GetRandom() to sample the =
    distribution.

    3) Uniformly sample the energy range you wish to run, and give it a =
    weight according to your spectrum. Use this weight to set the variable =
    WEIPRI in source.f. This uses the powerful biasing capability of FLUKA, =
    which is especially useful if your energy distribution function varies =
    over orders of magnitude.

    Hope this helps,
    Kerry