Re: a cross-check (He 5MeV into gas chamber)

From: Alberto Fasso' (fasso@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2007 - 23:47:50 CET

    Ercan,

    please keep the your answers and questions on the discussion list.
    If you write to me privately, the other users cannot participate.

    On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, Ercan Pilicer wrote:

    > > Try $FLUPRO/flutil/usbrea.f: it converts
    > > a binary binning file to ASCII.
    >
    > i have used that however i didnt understand what it dumps. my USRBIN is
    >
    > * Cartesian binning of the deposited energy in Si
    > USRBIN 10.0 208.0 -76.0 5.0 5.0 10.108 EdopSIL
    > USRBIN -5.0 -5.0 10.008 100.0 100.0 100.0 &

    Dumps??? usbrea just converts a binary binning file into an ascii one,
    identical to what you would have got if you had not put a minus sign
    in your input. There is little to be understood: the header says all.

    > > > 8. but what happens when i convert a 0.0001 number into integer? it
    > > > becomes 0 for all values less than 0.999.
    > > Instead of
    > > if(sngl(ztrack(1)).eq.real(0.0001))
    > > write
    > > if(NINT(ztrack(1)*1.E4).eq.1)

    > i have moved all REAL(XXX) and SNGL(XXX) functions from my user
    > routines. now they are like that;
    > z1=0.0001d4
    > if(ztrack(1)*1d4.eq.z1)
    > i think thats like the way you told me:)

    No! It was not at all what I told you. You are still doing a numerical test
    on non-integer values. I compared NINT(ztrack(1)*1.E4), which is an integer,
    with 1, which is another integer. You are comparing ztrack(1)*1d4, which
    is a floating point number, with z1, which is another floating point number.
    Floating point values can be tested only with .le. or .ge., NEVER with .eq.

    > well, most important one is i need to calculate heavy ion particle
    > ranges and LET inside silicon. for this i prepared an input. for LET,
    > i think USRYIELD is ok but still didnt understand how to see the
    > results in the unit of MeV/(mg/cm2) from the output file.

    I think that the results are in keV/(/um g/cm3).
    The LET refers to the material indicated by WHAT(6) of the USRYIELD
    continuation card.

    > is there an optional card to find beam particle range in a desired
    > volume. USRTRACK sounds for this but i dont if it is.

    No, USRTRACK gives completely different information (average fluence in
    in a volume).

    > could you please help me about these (LET and range stuff) ?

    The LET refers to the material indicated by WHAT(6) of the USRYIELD
    continuation card.
    I don't think there is a way to get the range directly, but you can
    request the program to print a tabulation of dE/dx (with DELTARAY,
    SDUM = PRINT), and you can estimate the range by integrating its inverse:
        /Emax
    R = | dx/dE dE
        /0

    Maybe other persons can help you better.

    Alberto