Scoring Particle Yields in Thick Targets.

From: Lindley Winslow (LAWinslow@lbl.gov)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 00:53:58 CET

    Hello all,

    This is a followup to a previous post about using USRYIELD to score
    particle yields and possible double counting. My goal is to score
    both particles made in muon and secondary interactions.

    The previous post can be found here:
    http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/0793.html

    I wrote a user defined routine to correct for scoring of particles'
    scattering, spallation etc. which brought my results with ~10% of the
    published result at 270GeV. I then tried to reproduce results for
    10.3GeV muons and I am getting 1.4 instead of 2.5 n per muon g/cm2
    and 0.1 instead of 0.3 pion+ per muon g/cm2.

    I realized by scoring inelastic collisions I was missing particle
    decays which I thought was a small correction. I think I may also be
    missing particles created in Low Energy Neutron interactions. If so
    what is the proper way to score these particles? or may be more
    generally what is the proper way to score particle yields in thick
    detectors? (Detectors where total amount produced is more important
    than what escapes).

    Thank you,
    Lindley