Re: Problem using different materials

From: Paola Sala (paola.sala@cern.ch)
Date: Wed May 02 2007 - 16:39:39 CEST

    Hi

    The problem with your input is that Uranium is not a fluka pre-defined
    material ( the list of pre-def is in the fluka manual, or in the menu of
    the ASSIGNMAT card in FLAIR, for instance),
    and there is not a low-energy neutron data set for URANIUM. You can see
    the message at the end of your geomneut_u001.out file:

      **** Low energy neutron xsec not found for some media 0 1 ****
     URANIUM

    Low energy neutron cross sections are available for the separate Uranium
    isotopes, not for the natural composition. Again, to have the list of
    the available low-energy neutron cross section you can have a look in
    the manual, section 10} Low-energy neutrons in FLUKA
    For your target, you should define URANIUM as a compound made of the
    different isotopes. For instance:

    MATERIAL 92.0 235.0439 18.95 235.0 235-U
    MATERIAL 92.0 238.0508 18.95 238.0 238-U
    MATERIAL 18.95 URANIUM
    COMPOUND 0.007 235-U 0.993 238-U URANIUM

    In this way one defines uranium as 99.3 % 238-U and 0.7% 235 U . The
    materials 235-U and 238-U are automatically recognized for what concerns
    the low energy neutrons.
    Hope this helps
    Paola