Re: [fluka-discuss]: isotope source anisotropy

From: 委v鋱k Aleksandras <aleksandras.sevcik_at_ktu.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 20:35:51 +0000

Hi Paola,

Thanks :) I forgot to mention that I'm modeling the encapsulated source - I did not expect that the encapsulation will have such a big effect on the dose homogeneity. Yet it seems I was very wrong.

I run the simulation with and without encapsulation, see attached picture. Poor statistics, but fits for an illustration.

It seems that with the encapsulation I'm getting the same similar shapes the one can find in the literature.

I found one paper with measured dose in the phantom, see attached picture (source :Hurley, C., et al. "High-resolution gel dosimetry of a HDR brachytherapy source using normoxic polymer gel dosimeters: preliminary study." )

By the way, I'm running the simulation with defaults PRECISIO, which has 100 keV particle transport threshold - so for any generated electron <100 keV the dose is scored immediately at that point ? Would lower threshold, let's say, 50 keV, be more accurate, if I can say so ? Wouldn't be defaults EM-CASC with lower particle threshold be the most optimal setup regarding time and accuracy of the dose scoring in the water/tissue for this specific radionuclide (Ir192)?

The insights would be much appreciated,

Alex