[fluka-discuss]: How to understand "42 groups of gamma"?

From: <shihy_at_ihep.ac.cn>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 15:26:17 +0800

Dear Experts,

I'm doing some study of Synchrotron Radiation. The manual said that FLUKA using the way of "42 groups of gamma" to deal with photons with energy between 1keV and 50 MeV. I don't know how to understand it. Does it mean that all photons with that range of energy would be divided into 42 group, giving a particular energy, and has a particular cross section for each kind of interaction? Or this way only dealing with the photons generated by Low energy neutrons?
How about the neutrons?
Thanks a lot.

Shy Shi