RE: [fluka-discuss]: USRTRACK result -> change of fluence into electron charge generated

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 10:50:58 +0200

Dear Agnieszka,,
just one doubt, seeing that you are interested in Argon. Do you need to
calculate the "signal" in a ionization chamber?
In this case, FLUKA alone cannot give you the answer. The number of
electron-ion pairs created by ionizing particles depends on details of the
molecular structure / gas composition etc etc that go beyond the physics
capabilities of standard transport codes. What we customarily do is to
rely on experimental measurements of the "W" factor, that is the average
energy deposition needed to create an electron-ion pair. The produced
charge (signal) is then given by an energy deposition scoring divided by
W.

The NET-CHRG estimator will give a null result in a bulk material, since
all the charge produced will also be stopped inside.

Hope this helps
Paola

Paola Sala
INFN Milano