Re: [fluka-discuss]: problems with materials (too short time of simulation)

From: Santana, Mario <msantana_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 18:56:36 +0000

Hi Adrian,

I couldn’t quite understand what your issue is. Nor did I get the attachment in a usable way.

Do you mean that the ‘Total CPU time’ does not depend on the number of events (=primaries?)?. It should, but bear in mind that it is also a stochastic variable and it could fluctuate substantially for simulations that haven’t converged, i.e. short simulations, and/or simulations with strong biasing.

Also, the total CPU time for very short simulations (number of primaries <<) may be dominated by the preprocessing time, i.e. the time FLUKA takes to ‘digest’ your input, generate tables, etc. After that, it should scale to the number of primaries.

Finally, in your subject you write ‘too short time of simulation’, which makes me think that your simulations may not have finished successfully at all. Please check your output file for errors messages and check if you got any meaningful/converged results for your scoring cards.

-Mario

(Ƨځ맲r*'~&x%Zm 0nߖi'iw