Re: [fluka-discuss]: Superimposing several USRYIELD cards in USR-1D plot

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 22:25:10 +0100

Dear Anne,

note that your second quantity, defining the filtering interval, is the
*polar* angle theta (in degrees) with respect to the beam direction.
USRYIELD results are then normalized by the respective *solid* angle (in
steradians).

Considering your scoring surface, only neutrons with theta > 90 deg can be
recorded (actually neutrons coming directly from the water dump have an
angle close to 180 deg). So a theta interval from 0 to 180 will give
exactly the same spectrum as the 90-180 interval, apart from the dOmega
(solid angle) normalization, making the first lower by a factor 2 (it's
divided by 4*pi sr while the latter is divided by 2*pi sr).

To compare single differential energy spectra corresponding to different
angular windows, you should just renormalize each of them by
dOmega = 2*pi*(cos(theta1)-cos(theta2))

Now, you have selected linear energy binning, which is not a good idea
for neutron energy spectra, normally spanning several decades and anyway
subject to the predefined multigroup structure below 20 MeV (far from
being linear). Sticking to that (linear binning), your horizontal energy
scale should in principle stay linear and your value should then be Y,
i.e. dN/(dE dOmega), multiplied by dOmega as above in the normalization
factor field.

When plotting spectra/distributions, it makes no much sense to multiply by
the bin width, i.e. dE in your case, which by the way you took wrong,
since dE = 2 GeV above 20 MeV but it varies according to the multigroup
structure below 20 MeV.
(Then you wrongly multiplied by
dtheta = (theta2- theta1) = 180 or 5
instead of dOmega).

If you are interested in integrating the spectra, to get the full
population N, just look into the respective _sum.lis file and you will
find

Tot. response (integrated over x1)

that - in the case of USRYIELD - has still to be multiplied by the x2
(second quantity) interval, i.e. in your case the solid angle expression I
gave you above.

If you better choose logarithmic energy binning, then you should plot on
a horizontal logarithmic energy scale and the value on the vertical axis
should be <X>*Y, since in this case the quantity that has to be plotted is
dN/(dlog(E) dOmega) = E * dN/(dE dOmega), always to be renormalized by
dOmega.

Up to here, it was a matter of plotting (and binning choice in scoring).

Clearly, the production of a meaningful backscattered neutron statistics
is challenging. If you do not get there by increasing the number of
primaries (and patiently allowing for a long simulation time), you may
want to consider the implementation of importance biasing for low energy
neutrons (and hadrons, if neutrons > 20 MeV manage to play a role). For
this, refer to the BIASING card, in combination with your geometry region
setup, in order to favour particle splitting for neutrons coming back.

I'd also resort to the mgdraw routine (to be activated by USERDUMP in the
input), customizing the entry BXDRAW to dump in a file each neutron
(JTRACK=8) crossing your reference boundary, to be used in a second step
through the source routine. But before worrying about preparing the
latter, you need to accumulate a meaningful neutron sample.
If you go with biasing, remember to store in the mentioned file also the
statistical weight (WTRACK), in addition to the neutron position (XSCO,
YSCO, ZSCO), direction (CXTRCK, CYTRCK, CZTRCK) and energy (ETRACK =
kinetic+mass and KTRACK = energy group number for neutrons < 20 MeV).

Bon courage

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti
CERN-EN/STI