Re: [fluka-discuss]: Installation problems with Fedora 28

From: Mauro Valente <mauro.valente_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 14:37:58 -0300

Dear Andrea and Lorenzo,

We have experience exactly the same issue when trying to install last FLUKA
respin in Fedora 28.

We have proven to manage installation with:

fluka2011.2x-linux-gfor64bit-6.4-AA.tar.gz (gfortran 6)

fluka2011.2x-linux-gfor64bitAA.tar.gz (gfortran 7)

and also the rpm fluka-2011.2x-2.x86_64.rpm

Although we do not have high expertise with S.O. technical features, we
were always able to install all FLUKA versions in Fedora distributions
without any kind of problem.

The only "practical solution" that we found was to perform downgrade to
Fedora 27 or even worst, re-install Fedora 27, because
the libgfortran.so.4()(64bit) seems to be not present in Fedora 28
distribution.

Perhaps this situation may appear for many of FLUKA users, so it would be
really appreciated some hint to overcome the issue.

Best regards,

> Hi Lorenzo,
> I am creating a Fedora 28 VM to check this issue
> and I will let you know.
>
> In the meantime, did you try to install FLUKA from
> the .tar.gz file with make?
>
> Best,
> Andrea
>

> Il 17/05/2018 12:44, lorenzo.mercolli_at_bag.admin.ch ha scritto:
>
>> Dear FLUKA experts
>>
>> Recently I updated my 64 bit system to Fedora 28 and at the same time I
>> wanted to reinstall the latest version of FLUKA. However, when installing
>> FLUKA with rpm I get the following error
>>
>> error: Failed dependencies:
>> libgfortran.so.4()(64bit) is needed by fluka-2011.2x-2.x86_64
>> libgfortran.so.4(GFORTRAN_7)(64bit) is needed by
>> fluka-2011.2x-2.x86_64
>>
>> despite the fact that the gcc-gfortran is installed (I could reproduce
>> the error with a completely new installation of Fedora 28 in a VM). A quick
>> check with a VM showed that with Fedora 27 everything installs without any
>> problems. My guess is that the problem arises because Fedora 27 has
>> version 7.3.1-5 of the gcc-gfortran package, while Fedora 28 has the
>> version 8.1.1-1. Can anyone advise me how I can install the rpm of FLUKA in
>> Fedora 28? Thanks!
>>
>> Best,
>> Lorenzo

> --