RE: [fluka-discuss]: TOTAL FLUENCE

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 18:46:25 +0200

If you look at your photon spectrum for the 1 MeV case, you can see that
the expected peak at 1 MeV is not there. The explanation has nothing to do
with number of histories or installation problems, rather with (un)healthy
programming practices. I had recommended to use double precision when
typing real numbers in user routines and this case shows how important
such a care is. In your source.f you wrote

       TKEFLK (NPFLKA) = 1E-3

and then in USRBDX you put the scoring upper limit exactly at 1 MeV. The
inadequate accuracy of the energy value makes a substantial fraction of 1
MeV photons be cut as comparing to the USRBDX value.

If coding

       TKEFLK (NPFLKA) = 1.D-03

you no longer lose them.

Still, putting the scoring limit exactly on your particle energy value is
anyway risky, you can instead easily take a safe margin by extending your
scoring range.

Best wishes

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti