Re: [fluka-discuss]: TPS dose view in plot

From: Francesc Salvat-Pujol <francesc.salvat.pujol_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 14:36:54 +0200

Dear Junyu,

Consider a Cartesian USRBIN. For any scored quantity f_ijk, where i
j k are the respective bin indices along X Y and Z, a 2D projection
(e.g. on X and Y) should be interpreted in this context as

  f_ij = (sum_k f_ijk * dZ) / (Z_max-Z_min),

where dZ is the bin width along Z and the sum runs over all bins in
[Z_min,Z_max]. Note that this actually performs an average. The length
units of dZ and Z_{min,max} cancel out: the virtue of this is that the
physical units of f_ij are those of f_ijk, which is convenient.

In an analogous way, for a 1D projection along, say X, one has:

  f_i = (sum_jk f_ijk * dY * dZ) / ((Y_max-Y_min) * (Z_max-Z_min)),

where dY is the bin width along Y and the sum runs over all bins along
[Y_min,Y_max] and [Z_min,Z_max].

Thus, in your 1D plots each datapoint is the average value over the
perpendicular plane (bound by the USRBIN limits). I have not seen your
input, but there could be large regions of your USRBIN with ~zero dose,
which shrink the average value, and could easily justify the values you
see in your 1D plots.

Hope this helps (and is not too far off!),

Cesc

--
Francesc Salvat Pujol
CERN-EN/STI