Re: [fluka-discuss]: how to add a new material in fluka input

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2018 19:22:35 +0200

Hallo

the cards MATERIAL and COMPOUND are there exactly for your purposes. The
first is meant to define the material density (WHAT(3)), its name (SDUM),
and its atomic number (WHAT(1)). The last has to be specified only if your
material is made of a single element, either in its natural composition or
in single isotope form. For the latter case, the isotope mass number - not
the atomic weight - has to be specified too (WHAT(6)).
Note that the name of such a single element material must match the
respective one in the low energy neutron cross section library OR be
linked through a LOW-MAT card.

The COMPOUND card allows to combine single element materials of this kind
in different ways, namely by atom relative content, mass fraction or
volume fraction. The COMPOUND name (SDUM) must match the one in the
respective MATERIAL card, where its density is defined as already said.
For the COMPOUND name the correspondence to the above mentioned library
does not apply, since it holds for its single element constituents.

The manual provides a more extended description of these two cards and
associated aspects.

Kind regards

Francesco Cerutti
CERN-EN/STI