[fluka-discuss]: Stopping power for protons in water

From: Ferreira De Almeida Lourenco, Ana <am.lourenco_at_ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 16:21:29 +0000

Dear FLUKA experts,

I’m simulating a proton source in a phantom made of water with different mass densities. In this geometry, I would like to model uniform cross sections throughout the phantom to perform a Fano test. In order to achieve this I overwritten the STERNHEI card to be the same for the regions made of water but with different mass densities so that the density effect on the stopping power is independent of the density of the region. Attached an example of the input file.

In the figure below it is plotted the stopping power for protons in the different water regions. At high-energies, the density effect correction is the same for the different water regions but at low-energies the stopping power is different. At low-energies, is FLUKA using tabulated data for liquid water which is usually based on experimental data? How could I run FLUKA so it uses the same stopping powers in the different water regions with different densities?

The following densities are used in the different regions:
water - 0.998 g/cm^3
water1 - 0.998 g/cm^3
waterH - 1.7 g/cm^3
waterL - 0.00120484 g/cm^3

Also, I would like to know how can I print the stopping power for electrons?

Many thanks,
Ana

[cid:38f54912-8149-4a49-8dee-a87344432ece]
[cid:d6592bcf-0219-4386-a18e-03001bde9bc9]