[fluka-discuss]: Atmospheric simulations and particle counts

From: Sarah Mechbal <smechbal_at_ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 09:52:15 -0700

Dear FLUKA experts,

I had a question about atmospheric cosmic rays shower simulation with
FLUKA: is it possible to have a particle counted twice in the MGDRAW
routine?

Let me describe our setup:
We inject an isotropic flux of protons following a power-lay at the top of
the atmosphere, which is described with 291 spherically concentric layers,
going from 0 g.cm-2 to 998 g.cm-2.

We record with the MGDRAW routine boundary crossings at layers of our
choosing. For events with a high zenith angle, the particle will traverse
the layer multiple times, upward or downward, sometimes interacting in the
process: could a particle ever be miscounted twice in the MGDRAW routine?
Would it be better to assign a BLACKHOLE material below the layer of
interest to avoid such problem? We are also interested in knowing the
contribution of secondary particles at different atmospheric depths.

Thank you for the help you provide,
Sarah