Re: [fluka-discuss]: Underground muons

From: Alfredo Ferrari <alfredo.ferrari_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 21:21:38 +0100

Dear Jilberto

you should rethink the volume of your scoring region. Very likely it is
too small to ever get one muon going thru in a reasonable cpu time since
you need to use a very extended atmospheric geometry on top ot it.

There are two ways out:

a) a preliminary run, scoring the muons on a much larger surface at ground
level (large enoguh to get statistics but still small enough to
assume the muon fluence is the same over it, the example is fine in this
respectd. The a second run with only the local geometry where you "launch"
from an ad hoc source the muons in the area just above your detector with
the proper energy and angle distributions (spataially uniform) as scored
in the first step

b) use some Monte Carlo tricks to increase you statistics, I suggest
to give a look at an old paper which could give you some ideas about
   ``Monte Carlo simulation of underground muon events in
   a finite size detector'', Astroparticle Physics, 7, 101-108 (1997)

               Alfredo

| Alfredo Ferrari || Tel.: +41.22.76.76119 |
| CERN-EN/STI || Fax.: +41.22.76.69474 |
| 1211 Geneva 23 || e-mail: Alfredo.Ferrari_at_cern.ch |
| Switzerland || |