Re: photon interaction

From: Vasilis Vlachoudis (Vasilis.Vlachoudis@cern.ch)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2007 - 18:12:16 CET

    Hi jamshid,

    welcome to the wonderful world of monte carlo.
    This zig-zag has a name (and a family-name :) and is called statistical
    fluctuations and you will have to learn to live with it. Actually is a
    very useful information that tells you how well you should trust your
    result.

    However a better quantity to plot, is the statistical mean of each bin
    together with the error on the mean. In principle MC is a counting
    experiment and should follow a Poisson distribution, therefore the error
    is the square root of the counts in each bin, which is no longer true if
    you are using biasing or other techniques. Therefore FLUKA exploits the
    Central Limit Theorem to get the correct mean and error on the mean. For
    this reason you need to perform a few cycles and based on the CLT the
    final distribution on the average will tend to be Normal (for infinite
    cycles) no matter what was the original distribution. Actually it
    converges very quickly and 5 cycles are enough.

    Please give a look on the FLUKA course material and especially the
    presentations about the monte carlo and estimators.

    Regards
    Vasilis