Re: [fluka-discuss]: I'm a beginner

From: Horváth Dávid <David.Horvath_at_eli-beams.eu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 07:33:00 +0000

Dear Amin Hassan,

Performance wise there is no difference between Virtualbox and Docker, since Docker also relies on Virtualbox.

The Difference is:

With Virtualbox you will need to install your Linux distribution of you choice (Fedora is recommended) and Fluka + Flair by yourself. But doing so you get a full virtual Linux machine which you can use for other applications.

With Docker the installation is much easier (following the step-by-step instructions), but at the end you will be able to use it only for Fluka simulations (without any further Docker knowledge).

I hope this help choose between the two options.

Kind regards,
Dávid Horváth

Junior Researcher
Radiation Protection