[fluka-discuss]: Modeling painted surface

From: Nima Ghal-Eh <Nima.Ghal-Eh_at_fuw.edu.pl>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 10:18:20 +0330

Dear Paola,

Thank you very much for your message regarding my question with the
topic “Modeling painted surface”.

I attached two files “paint.inp” and “frghns.f” for a simple problem, in
which a rectangular 2cm x 2 cm x 2 cm scintillator is surrounded by a
thin layer of TiO2 paint, except the PMT window. The paint material is
considered as metal with 100% reflectivity. We expect that all optical
photons incident on the paint surface to be reflected back similar to
the case of specular reflection (i.e., the default reflection without
roughness), which is logical.

But, if the diffuse reflection is set at the scintillator-paint boundary
by means of frghns.f user routine, we unexpectedly see that (1) a number
of optical photons do cross the scintillator-paint boundary and (2) the
optical photon absorption happens in the paint region.

Could you please let me know how to model the diffuse surface with
frghns.f user routine such that it works properly with the metal surface
reflectivity definition in flair?

Thank you very much in advance and looking forward to hearing from you
soon.

Sincerely,
Nima Ghal-Eh.