[fluka-discuss]: IONSPLIT option

From: Paolo Giunio Pisano <paolo.giunio.pisano_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 10:24:56 +0000

Good morning,

I received two different Fluka input files used for activation calculations. If I try to run them as they are, the execution is terminated right away and I get the following message:

Coalescence activated and beam above BME limit with no rQMD
And no or incompatible IONSPLIT option!

The problem is quickly solved if I switch on the IONSPLIT card (as suggested by the error message). However, it is my understanding that these two input files were running just fine (i.e. without IONSPLIT option) a few years ago (ca. 2013?). Is that possible? If yes, has the IONSPLIT option become strictly needed once the coalescence is activated in more recent versions of the code?

From what I have read on the manual, the IONSPLIT option handles ions interactions by treating the nucleons one at the time and by superimposing their effects. Can someone, please, tell me if I should be careful in using this option or it is not expected to possibly affect the results in a negative way? Since I don't really know the physics behind it and I cannot run the model without it, it is hard for me to get a feeling about it.

Thanks in advance,

Paolo Pisano