[fluka-discuss]: Re: Problems in running energy variable loop

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 13:47:13 +0100

Dear Sandipan
The input file you sent has no problem with the definition of beam energy.
It crashes because there is the request for residual nucleai calculation
without activation of the needed evaporation and coalescence processes
From the release notes:
"
- Whenever residual nuclei (and residual dose rates) scoring is of
  importance, or accurate neutron yields are required, the heavy residual
  emission ("fragmentation") and the coalescence emission of fast complex
  particles should be switched on, through the following data cards:

PHYSICS 3.0 EVAPORAT
PHYSICS 1.0 COALESCE

"

This situation is now protected, for sake of the users! The output file
contains the message
*** Predictions for residual nuclei production and ***
 *** decays require the activation of heavy fragment ***
 *** evaporation by means of the PHYSICS/EVAPORAT card ***
 *** look at the manual and release notes for further ***
 *** details ***

Once the card inserted, and a non-zero number of primary particle is
entered in the START cars, the input runs happily.

Probably what you sent is a reduced version of your real input. Would it
be possible to have the real input for debugging?
Thanks
Paola

> Dear Experts,
>
> I want to run a single I/P for 100-150 energy variables which was
> possible through #define (=-E) card in earlier versions of Fluka. In the
> updated versions I had to add a GLOBAL card with "OLDFLAIR" in sdum to
> run those I/P. But in the recent version, when I am running the I/P ,
> its creating a .out file which is about 100GB size alone and in turn
> flair is getting crashed
>
> In the present version, what is the right way to use energy variable in
> the loop.
>
> I have attached a test I/P for reference.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Sandipan

Paola Sala
INFN Milano