[fluka-discuss]: particle cosine direction in mgdraw in cosmic ray simulations

From: Liu, Chuanlei (HC/SC) <"Liu,>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 14:02:13 +0000

Dear Fluka Experts/Users,

We are trying to study the secondary cosmic flux at a certain location with Fluka and save all boundary crossing particles in a file by using mgdraw subroutine (and USRBDX command). The earth model was created with atmloc_2011.f program.

We understood that the crossing position can be retrieved in mgdraw with XSCO/YSCO/ZSCO variables and, in our case, these coordinates are in the geomagnetic system. However one thing we are not quite clear is that, in which coordinate system the particle direction (CXTRCK/CYTRCK/CZTRCK) was calculated. We want to check the particle zenith angle distribution (dot production between the position vector and the direction vector), but have to make sure all these vectors are defined in the same system. Can someone confirm the system in which the direction (cosine values) was calculated please? Thanks.

We also tried to understand the third parameter in the subroutine GEOGMG(arg1, arg2, par). We know par=4 is to convert system from Cartesian to geomagnetic system, but what parameter 1, 2, and 3 mean in this subroutine. Thanks.

Best,
Chuanlei Liu