RE: [fluka-discuss]: DOUBTS REGARDING LATTICE CARD IN FLUKA

From: riya dey <riyadey_at_barc.gov.in>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 16:18:56 +0530

Thank you. It helped a lot.

Thanks and Regards

Riya Dey

From: owner-fluka-discuss_at_mi.infn.it [mailto:owner-fluka-discuss_at_mi.infn.it]
On Behalf Of Eleftherios Skordis
Sent: 08 May 2019 15:29
To: riya dey <riyadey_at_barc.gov.in>; fluka-discuss_at_fluka.org
Subject: RE: [fluka-discuss]: DOUBTS REGARDING LATTICE CARD IN FLUKA

Dear Riya,

"1. Suppose, inside a cube of length 1 cm in each side , 1000 spheres
are situated. I want to create a similar cube containing same 1000 spheres
by transforming the previous cube along z with some delta z value. Do I
need to use transformation card for each of these 1000 spheres? Or is there
any way to define the cube and the 1000 spheres as a unit and transform that
single unit along z ?

This is exactly how the lattice card works. When you define a region as
lattice the container body of that region should match, using a
transformation, the container body of the region of your prototype of
interest. The inside structure of the prototype region, other than the
container body, can have any shape and will be replicated as well. You can
find an example attached.

"2. I could not understand the use of index of rotation (i). For
example, if we want to transform along Z axis, then inside ROT-DEFI card, in
the axis option of WHAT(1), we select z which indicates j = 3. Now, if we
use many such transformations along z, do we need to select different index
of rotation for each transformation ? ( For example, you have used Id = 1
and 2 for tr1 and tr2)."

The index of rotation can be put to 0 and then fluka will assign an
incremental number to that specific rotation similar to what is done with
the material numbers. So if you have a lot of different transformations they
you don't have to worry about setting that number.

Alternatively you can choose to set it yourself to all your transformations,
instead of setting a name. By using either the same index or the same name
on multiple transformation cards then these transformations are applied as
one when called with their assigned common name or index.

I suggest you take a look at the following presentation for further
information and more advanced uses of the lattice function in fluka.

http://www.fluka.org/content/course/NEA/lectures/Lattice.pdf

Kind regards

Lefteris

as

-----------------------

Eleftherios Skordis

Dep. EN/STI, CERN
CH-1211 GENEVA 23
SWITZERLAND

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I have again some doubts regarding
the use of lattice card.

1. Suppose, inside a cube of length 1 cm in each side , 1000 spheres
are situated. I want to create a similar cube containing same 1000 spheres
by transforming the previous cube along z with some delta z value. Do I
need to use transformation card for each of these 1000 spheres? Or is there
any way to define the cube and the 1000 spheres as a unit and transform that
single unit along z ?

2. I could not understand the use of index of rotation (i). For
example, if we want to transform along Z axis, then inside ROT-DEFI card, in
the axis option of WHAT(1), we select z which indicates j = 3. Now, if we
use many such transformations along z, do we need to select different index
of rotation for each transformation ? ( For example, you have used Id = 1
and 2 for tr1 and tr2).

3. Can you please send me the lattice.f program with modifications in
accordance with the previous example, so that I can understand how to
generate the lattice using the inbuilt options as well as using lattice.f
program ?

Thanks and Regards

Riya Dey