Re: [fluka-discuss]: Re: [fluka-discuss]: Fwd: Fwd: Shielding doubts

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 15:46:35 +0200

Dear Luis,
The number of primaries to be run depends a lot on the setup that you want
to simulate.
In order to evaluate your statistical error with Fluka, one should run
many "cycles" of the same sun, and use the standard fluka tools to combine
the results. These tools calculate errors by looking at the variations
among cycles. The number of cycles shall be at least 5 or 10, the number
of primaries as many as possible to have a reasonable CPU time (say few
hours per cycle).
Statistical errors are printed in the .lis and .tab files, while for
USRBIN they can be plotted with Flair (checking the "errors" option in
the plot page)
So, first try, look at first results,
 then, increasing the number of primaries per cicles and/or the number of
cycles will improve the statistical error.
If CPU is not enough.. bias can help.
You can have a look at the slides from past user courses fr more details
Hope this helps
Paola

> Hello Sebastien,
>
> Thank you very much for your fast answer. I am working on that hint and I
> am obtaining some results.
>
> However, I wanted to ask some basic questions concerning the primaries.
> What is the difference between simulating 1000 or 10000 primaries? How
> many should I simulate to get good statistics?.
>
> Regards,
>
> Luis
>
> El Miércoles 19 Junio 2019 12:59 CEST, Sébastien Wurth
> <wurth_at_ipno.in2p3.fr> Ha escrito:
>
>> Hello Luis,
>>
>> Just a little hint, you should try to obtain dose rate in µSv/h on your
>> plot.
>>
>> In order to do this you have to know your beam intensity to convert
>> primary in number of particules per unit time.
>>
>> Do it in the normalization box displayed in the plotting layout.
>>
>> Then you look at the duration of beam emission during the year and you
>> check whether it complies with the 1 mSv limitation.
>>
>> Hope it helps.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> Sebastien.
>>
>> Le 19/06/19 à 08:07, Luis Eduardo Gonzalez Amoros a écrit :
>> > Dear FLUKA experts,
>> >
>> > I write because I am simulating the shielding for a LINAC accelerator
>> and I am having some doubts.
>> >
>> > I have created all the structure that I need for the moment, I have
>> simulated 10000 primaries and 5 cycles and I have plotted the 2D
>> EQ-DOSE USRBIN card. Thus, I guess I am getting the result in
>> pSv/primary. However, I don't know how to get the equivalent dose for
>> the whole year and check if outside the bunker it is bigger than 1msV.
>> >
>> > Could you explain me how to do this and/or suggest me where I can find
>> some clear explanation?
>> >
>> > Attached I leave my code in case it helps to understand what I am
>> trying to simulate.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Luis

Paola Sala