[fluka-discuss]: Particle latching and STUPRF

From: Huang, Lifi <lifi.huang_at_dkfz-heidelberg.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 08:48:26 +0000

Dear FLUKA experts,

after reading all of the previous discussions and the FLUKA manual, I am still having trouble understanding the latching mechanism in FLUKA.

A simplified version of my problem is this:

?

I have a detector region into which various types of particles are travelling through. These particles are the results of interactions in one of three other regions. I would like to analyze how many of these particles traveled into the detector from each region. Unless I'm wrong, I cannot use the subroutine bxdraw directly, because my three other regions do not directly border the detector region, i.e. there is air between the detector and the interaction regions.

My idea is to use stuprf.f to save the interaction region of the mother particle in a SPAUSR/ISPUSR variable and write it to a file whenever one of its daughter particles passes into the detector region (compiling my exe with both mgdraw.f and stuprf.f). This is, however, where I am stuck.

I have attached my mgdraw.f routine (not the stuprf.f though, nothing changed here), where I have added " ISPUSR(1)=MREG? " to the usdraw routine (not even sure if this is the correct variable to save as the region) in hopes of being able to obtain a distribution of where all the daughter particles are coming from in post-processing. In the bxdraw routine (so when the daughter particle crosses from the air into the detector region), I have implemented a write function that writes the energy/time of arrival/ particle id/region from where it entered the detector(always air)/interaction region of where the particle was initially created (i.e. ISPUSR(1)).

Essentially what I am asking is how to explicitly save the region where a daughter particle was created and write it to a file, along with some other properties, when it passes through a not-neighbor region. Is the way I have done it correct?

Thanks so much for your time!?

Lifi Huang
MSc Student
E041