[fluka-discuss]: Loading multiple FORTRAN binary arrays freezes simulation without feedback on err or log files

From: Primidis, Thomas <Thomas.Primidis_at_liverpool.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 09:44:27 +0000

Dear all,

I am using source.f for a bespoke source description and in the initialisation block of the script I am trying to load 3 cumulative probability distribution function (CDF) arrays in binary format which describe my source. I created these arrays using gfortran outside of fluka.

Compilation of the script is complete but when I run flair, the simulation freezes without any feedback on what is wrong. I have put write(*,*) commands right before loading each of the binary arrays but none of them are printed. In the fluka_xxxx folder, the Err output is empty and the Log output only contains up until the 1st line of the termination paragraph of the user license.

If I load only one binary array, the 3 write(*,*) commands are shown in the log file but the simulation freezes again and the err file contains only 2 'NEXT SEEDS' lines.

If I do not load them and just leave them uninitialised, the code runs.

The loading commands are bellow(I have stripped the renaming of the FILE strings and other bits of code between declaration and initialisation).

      INTEGER, DIMENSION(100) :: CDFXXF
      INTEGER, DIMENSION(100,100) :: CDFYYF
      INTEGER, DIMENSION(100,100,10*10) :: CDFXY
* | *** User initialization ***

      WRITE(*,*) flname
      OPEN(UNIT=26,FILE=flname,STATUS='OLD',FORM='UNFORMATTED')
      READ(26) CDFXXF
      CLOSE(26)

      WRITE(*,*) flname
      OPEN(UNIT=27,FILE=flname,STATUS='OLD',FORM='UNFORMATTED')
      READ(27) CDFYYF
      CLOSE(27)

      WRITE(*,*) flname
      OPEN(UNIT=28,FILE=flname,STATUS='OLD',FORM='UNFORMATTED')
      READ(28) CDFXY
      CLOSE(28)

If the error was later in the code, I assume that the write commands would be printed regardless. But since they are not printed the problem must be here.
Is this an issue seen before? Perhaps a compatibility issue with gfortran(I am using the same version as GFORFLU)? Are there more ways to get debugging information from the run?

Best regards,
Thomas