[fluka-discuss]: Computation of absorbed dose from Co-60 source

From: Bierlaire-Hancotte François <francois.bierlaire-hancotte_at_epfl.ch>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 09:37:59 +0000

Dear FLUKA users,

I am a beginner with FLUKA and I am using flair for everything (writing cards, computations and plots). The simulation I try to make is some computation of the absorbed dose of a Co-60 source inside a cavity and I have some questions:

1) The source is a cylinder so I used CYLI-VOL in the first BEAMPOS card. In the second BEAMPOS card, are the x, y, z coordinate located in the center of the cylinder or at the same place than the RCC cards (center of one of the circular surface)?

2) As the source is Co-60, I used ISOTOPE in the BEAM card. I see that an option of the divergence type (WHAT(3)) is isotropic. Is it ignored as the rest of the card because I choose ISOTOPE? Is the direction of the beam (cosx, cosy in the seconde BEAMPOS card) also ignored because it is isotropic?

3) As I specified that the source is a cylinder of Co-60 with the BEAM, BEAMPOS and HI-PROPE cards, should I put in addition geometry cards for a cylinder of cobalt at the same place and size as the beam source or is it redundant?

4) In order to compute the absorbed dose, I choose DOSE as the type of particle (WHAT(2)) in the USRBIN card. For a radioactive source with HI-PROPE, RADDECAY and DCYSCORE cards, the unit of DOSE is GeV/g per Bequerel per second (=> GeV/g per emitted particles), is that right?

5) What I would like to do is to mesure the absorbed dose only at a few given points. How should I do this? I though of putting new bodies, like SPH or RPP, at those points of interest than use USRBIN region (or region point) but I am not sure of how this part of the card works.

Best regards,

François