Re: [fluka-discuss]: Question about the suitable bin width selection

From: Andrea Fontana <andrea.fontana_at_pv.infn.it>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 14:47:25 +0100 (CET)

Hello,
   energy deposition with USRBIN is also related to the stepping
and to the thresholds used in your problem. You can find more
indications and examples in the Advanced Settings lecture given
at the last Fluka course at:

https://agenda.infn.it/event/20624/contributions/104850/attachments/68614/84869/AdvancedSettings2019.pdf

Look in particular at slide 22 and following.

Hope this helps,
Andrea

> Dear all,
>
> When calculating the energy deposition in graphite of electron beam in
> an circular area, I need to statistic the energy deposition along the
> semi-diameter (R) in the fixed position (Z) using USRBIN card with
> R-phi-Z and find the maximal value of energy deposition. The sigma X
> and sigma Y of electron beam spot is 0.2cm.
>
> I found that the value of energy deposition of each bin along R is
> larger when the bin width of R is smaller and the stastistical error
> becomes larger too.
>
> Therefore, if I run enough particles to reduce the statistical error.
> I have no idea if the 1 um bin width is meaningful and how to
> determine the suitable bin width.
>
> Any help will be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Dr. Andrea Fontana                    tel: +39 0382 987991
Istituto Nazionale                    fax: +39 0382 423241
di Fisica Nucleare
Sezione di Pavia                      e-mail: andrea.fontana_at_pv.infn.it
Via Bassi 6                           web   : www.pv.infn.it/~fontana
27100 PAVIA, Italy