[fluka-discuss]: Inconsistency between fluka and ESTAR results

From: Hamideh Jalali <jalali.hb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 13:12:05 +0330

Dear FLUKA experts

For simulating a beam stop for a 150 MeV electron beam, I have considered
this geometry: A graphite cylinder with length of 5 cm and radius of 3 cm
is inserted at the end of a recess of 12 cm length to act as a soft stop
to reduce the back-scatter, this section followed by 3 cm copper and 26 cm
steel as a beam dump.
In the physics part of my input, I activated the PHOTONUC card for all
energies and the sdum of PRECISIO for the DEFALTS card.

According to the fluka results, all primary electrons are stopped in about
2 cm of copper while I expected at least 3 cm (by considering the effect
of graphite in attenuating the electrons) to 3.5 cm of copper stops them
according to CSDA range at
https://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Star/Text/ESTAR.html.

What is the reason for this inconsistency?

Best Regards

Hamideh