Re: Re: [fluka-discuss]: negative deposit energy from EVENTBIN using Fluka2011.2x.8

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 13:48:30 +0100

Dear Mingyang
I confirm that the negative energy deposition you see is indeed physically
sound: It comes from a neutron at ~ thermal energy hitting an Hydrogen
atom and gaining energy from the thermal motion of the target.

This can happen only when pointwise treatment of neutron transport is
activated, as it happens since a while with the DEFAULTS PRECISION (only
for a few materials, see the manual)

For groupwise transport, kerma is averaged and is never negative.

If you do not "like" to see negative energies, (which are tiny quantities
indeed), you can either
- disable pointwise treatment through the LOW-NEUT card . This I do not
advise, the simulations will be less precise
- intercept them with a comscw.f routine. I attach an example that writes
informations whenever a negative energy dep occours. It has to be
activated with a USERWEIG card, what(6)=3.

I am sorry I cannot find the other discrepancy you mention, probably I
missed it: you point to event 56, could you, please, tell me in which
region do you see it?

Be careful: the two MULSOPT cards have wrong SDUMS, they should be GLOBEMF
and GLOBHAD.

Paola Sala
INFN Milano
tel. Milano +39-0250317374