Re: [fluka-discuss]: Usrtrack Neutron Spectra

From: Answers <answers_at_pcfluka.mi.infn.it>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 10:47:12 +0100 (CET)

Dear Niklas

the best option (and also the one more sound physics-wise) is to plot
the neutron fluence with the energy in log scale, having care of
multiplying the fluence value for each bin by the median energy of the
bin.

This is normally referred to as a "lethargy" plot, and you can easily
check that plotting E x dPhi/dE is the same as plotting dPhi/dlog(E).
This kind of plot has the advantage that the integral below a part of the
plot/spectrum is directly comparable to the integral below another part
(again assuming the X-axis is logarithmic). It also enhances the features
of the neutron spectrum. For a "perfect" moderator (eg hydrogenated
materials between 1 eV and 1 MeV) it can be demonstrated that the
spectrum in lethargy represention should be flat (or, if you wish,
dPhi/dE should be proportional to 1/E => E x dPhi/dE = constant).

Concerning the 0 bins, simply skip them. You have zero bins above 70 MeV
(obviously given your proton beam energy) and in the thermal region since
Ta is a poor moderator and anyway your target is thin => the produced
neutrons did not undergo enough scattering to be thermalized.

Multiplying by the bin width, with unequal bins, will result in unphysical
discontinuities as you correctly pointed out, and it does not make any
physical sense.

                      Have a nice day