[fluka-discuss]: USRYIELD double differential fluence yield

From: Ševčik Aleksandras <aleksandras.sevcik_at_ktu.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 16:53:55 +0000

Dear experts,

Would it be possible for someone to describe a little bit more in detail the difference between USRYIELD WHAT(12) plain double differential yield d2 N / d x1 d x2 and double differential fluence yield 1/cos (theta) d2 N / d x1 d x2? I have no previous experience in using these quantities. I am trying to figure out how I could evaluate the photon scattering in heterogenous environment with regions of different density. For this I want to employ USRYIELD/ polar angle/ Ekin.
My problem is that as I never worked with this before, I have a hard time to visualize - its very important for me - and interpret this. I understand the basics of usryield card but I don't get the upstream/downstream regions and what exact photons it counts. Does it measure the photons at which angle they crossed the boundary between upstream/downstream regions ? I also noticed that swapping upstream/downstream regions does not change the fluence yield while the plain yield changes.

I made a test simulation where an iron cube is in water environment. I run usryield polar angle/Ekin plain yield WATER>IRON, usryield plain yield IRON>WATER and usryield plain fluence WATER>IRON.
In case 1_WATER-IRON, I see typical Compton scattering curve, so does it represent photons scattered inside IRON ?
In case 2_IRON-WATER, does it represented photons reflected from IRON, or transmitted through IRON and then scattered in WATER?
In case 3, fluence yield ,does it represent the scattered photons in both regions?

Any clarifying comments in layman terms would be highly appreciated, especially any kind of simple schematics

Rgds
Alex