Re: [fluka-discuss]: How to switch off nuclear reactions?

From: Answers <answers_at_pcfluka.mi.infn.it>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 20:28:21 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Adrian,
for accurate and realistic depth-dose profiles, you need to consider all
possible interaction processes, i.e.

- inelastic Coulomb scattering with atomic electrons, responsable of range
   straggling

- elastic scattering with atomic nuclei, responsable of laterale penumbra

- non-elastic nuclear reactions with atomic nuclei, responsable of reduced
   primary beam fluence

However, if for your interest you wish to disantangle some process to see
its effect on the depth-dose profile, you can change the threshold of
kinetic energy for hadron elastic scattering and hadron inelastic reactions.
This can be done by means of WHAT(3) and WHAT(4) in the THRESHOLd card. If
you set the threshold energy sufficiently high, this is equivalent to
switching off the corresponding process, either hadron elastic scattering
(WHAT(3)) or hadron inelastic reactions (WHAT(4)).

I hope this helps,
Giulia