[fluka-discuss]: Ga-68 solid target production

From: Adam Dabkowski <DabkowskiA_at_cardiff.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 09:26:22 +0000

Dear Fluka Experts,

I am trying to simulate proton irradiation of the pure Zn and enriched Zn-68 discs in C 18 cyclotron.
Here are some results that I received.

Pure Zinc-68 solid target bombardment

a)
[cid:image020.jpg_at_01D61D47.71784800]
b)
[cid:image021.png_at_01D61D47.71784800]

Figure 41 (a) Relation between proton beam energy and Nb degrader thickness and (b) 68Ga (67.71(9) min) yields calculated in FLUKA for range of proton beam energies and pure 68Zn target thicknesses.
[cid:image022.png_at_01D61D47.71784800]

Figure 42 67Ga (3.2612(6) d) yields calculated in FLUKA for 68Zn pure targets.
[cid:image023.png_at_01D61D47.71784800]
Figure 43 Ratios of the 67Ga to the 68Ga yield vs proton beam energy for 68Zn pure targets.
[cid:image024.png_at_01D61D47.71784800]
Figure 44 64Cu (12.700(2) h) yields calculated in FLUKA.

[cid:image025.png_at_01D61D47.71784800]

Figure 45 Ratios of the 64Cu yield to the 68Ga yield vs proton beam energy.

Zinc-68 enriched solid target bombardment

a)
[cid:image026.jpg_at_01D61D47.71784800]
b)
[cid:image027.png_at_01D61D47.71784800]

Figure 50 (a) Relation between proton beam energy and Nb degrader thickness and (b) 68Ga (67.71(9) min) yields calculated in FLUKA for range of proton beam energies and 68Zn enriched target thicknesses.
[cid:image028.png_at_01D61D47.71784800]

Figure 51 67Ga (3.2612(6) d) yields calculated in FLUKA for 68Zn enriched target.

[cid:image029.png_at_01D61D47.71784800]
Figure 52 Ratios of the 67Ga to the 68Ga yield vs proton beam energy for 68Zn enriched targets.

[cid:image031.png_at_01D61D47.71784800]
It is very strange that for pure Zn and for Zn-68 target I received a lot of Cu-64 which is not expected with such low energies that I use.
Could you please have a look and propose a possible explanation for that?
I also attach one of my input files and results.

Kind Regards

--
    Adam Dabkowski MSc
Cyclotron Engineer
Wales Positron Emission Tomography Imaging Centre (PETIC)
Cardiff University School of Medicine
College of Biomedical and Life Science
Heath Park
Cardiff
CF14 4XN
Tel: +44 02920 745787 / 07511 196842
Email: dabkowskia_at_cardiff.ac.uk<mailto:dabkowskia_at_cardiff.ac.uk>
Peiriannydd Cyclotron
Canolfan Delweddu Tomograffeg Gollwng Positronau Cymru
Ysgol Meddygaeth Prifysgol Caerdydd Coleg y Gwyddorau Biofeddygol a Bywyd
Parc y Mynydd Bychan
Caerdydd
CF14 4XN
Tel: +44 02920 745787 / 07511 196842
E-bost: dabkowskia_at_caerdydd.ac.uk<mailto:dabkowskia_at_caerdydd.ac.uk>

image020.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: image020.jpg)

image021.png
(image/png attachment: image021.png)