Re: [fluka-discuss]: Doubt about threshold

From: Answers <answers_at_pcfluka.mi.infn.it>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 17:29:14 +0200 (CEST)

Hello

Your interpretation of prod cut is correct.
Energy deposition "beyond range" is not due to secondary electrons (which
have energy smaller than the primary, thus they stop before the nominal
range).( At higher electron energies, there would be photons,
generated by bremsstrahlung, carrying the energy further away).
It is due to fluctuations in the energy loss. The amount of energy
lost by an electron hitting another electron varies a lot,
  thus the range is subject to large fluctuations. There exist
the (very small) possibility for electrons to fluctuate beyond the nominal
NIST range (which is a bit more than 4 mm).

Then: a big warning about asssignment of properties to several materials /
regions:

In many FLUKA cards, one can input a "range" of materials (or regions,
depending on the card) to whih the card applies.

It is a range, not a list, and the range is based on the NUMERICAL order
of material (regions) in the inner storage of Fluka.
Region numbers correspond to the order in the geo metry
Material numbers are printed in the .out file
In your case, AIR is material 27, WATER is material 26.
Assigning cuts from AIR to WATER means from 27 to 26 ..does not work: it
only assigns to AIR.

It is advised to always look into the .out file, where the thresholds
(and not only them)
  are reported, to be sure that the input is interpreted as
wished.

If you really set the prod-cut at 1 MeV, automatically the transport
threshold is set at the same value, so that the electrons would not be
transported at all, they would deposit all the energy at the beam origin.

About problems with transport cut, could you please explain better what
happens?

About IRRPROFI:
It is NOT a normalization card. It is a card used to calculate dose from
radioactive nuclei produced during irradiation. In the case of 1 MeV
electrons, there will be no radioactive nucleus produced, so there will be
no energy in detectors associated to radioactive decay.

If you wish to have dose/secind you just have to multiply the fluka
results by the current of your beam:
There is NO CORRELATION between average fluka results and the number given
in the START card. The number of primaries only affects the statistical
significance, all results are given
normalized per primary particle

In Flair, if you set limits the Int value will give the integral within
those limits

Hope this helps