AW: Photo realistic image

From: Chris Theis <Christian.Theis@cern.ch>
Date: Tue Sep 23 2008 - 22:23:21 CEST

Hi Johannes,
basically (more or less) photo-realistic images like the one you've seen
can be created with any kind of ray-tracing or scanline rendering
package (povray, 3ds max, cinema4d, blender etc.) once you manage to get
your geometry into them. The next step is to extract the respective data
planes from a USRBIN, create the corresponding color plot images and use
them as a texture which is mapped onto the object before rendering.
Either you write your own software to do the extraction and image
creation or maybe there are some scripts/blender plugins available that
could help you during this step. I'm not aware of a public tool but you
might ask Vasilis who created the picture.

In any case one should be aware that the process of texture mapping is
not as simple as it might seem. As soon as you're leaving planar
surfaces things become more tricky regarding texture coordinates and the
different mapping transformations that are offered by the renderer of
your choice. You will always obtain an image but the placement might be
incorrect due to mapping distortions. Depending on the case and the
software used this can require some experience to get a correct result.

Cheers
Chris