[fluka-discuss]: Scoring primaries

From: SIZWE SCELO MHLONGO <3698012_at_myuwc.ac.za>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 18:56:45 +0200

Dear fluka experts and community,

I am doing calculations with the aim to find a suitable neutron moderator
material thickness. In my input (attached) I have a beam of 14 MeV neutrons
going through a polyethylene cylinder (h = 2 cm, r = 8.5 cm). I made two
scoring regions - one is for scoring beam particles before the beam
interacts with the target and the other is for scoring the beam particles
after going through the target region (I chose usrbdx as estimator). I
noticed that, although I requested 100 000 histories in my runs, the
fluence scored before the beam interacts with the target is less than the
requested primaries;

Furthermore, the moderated spectrum (when polyethylene and water are used)
tends to have a high fluence of thermal neutrons - even higher than the
requested primaries. What could be the cause of this? Thanks.

Best regards,

Sizwe

--
Disclaimer - This e-mail is subject to UWC policies and e-mail disclaimer
published on our website at: