Re: [fluka-discuss]: when runing the fluka code, the "Time-Out" error occurs?

From: Santana, Mario <msantana_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 04:28:02 +0000

Hi,

Coming back at your question from last week regarding the 4h CPU time when sampling starting conditions via the source routine, vs. 7s for a monoenergetic beam, I agree that the difference is high, but you would need to run a fair comparison, i.e. run a few simulations with different settings in the source card representing the conditions from the data in the source files (at least coarsely), then average the CPU times for the different simulations in accordance to the statistical relevance of each of the starting conditions.

In the unlikely case that the difference was still very high, it could be because you are actually spending a lot of CPU in the source routine, which is hard to tell without diving into the many lines of your code, but if that was the case it would be because of one of the multiple do loops, maybe because you are setting an end loop condition that is hardly attained.
In any case, I think that you are being already assisted in this matter, but let me just say that I see that you freely mix floating and integer numbers, which sometimes can be dangerous.

-M