[fluka-discuss]: Surface dose rate calculations

From: Raksha Rajput <rakshak_at_britatom.gov.in>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 14:41:33 +0530 (IST)

Dear Experts,

We have tried to calculate maximum surface dose rate on the surface of a SS cup (with center at (0,0,0) and outer radius 5.0445 cm) when the source is at (4.6,0,0).

We tried this with Cartesian binning and R-phi-Z binning and scored DOSE-EQ.

Please find attached the input files for 765.8 keV photon for both type of binnings and the results obtained (.lis fles).

We would request you to comment on the correctness of the input and the results obtained.

Can you please suggest which of the two binnings is advisable in our case ? Or, both can be used ?

As we needed the dose rate at a point, we have reduced the volume of the bin to 1 mm^3 approx. - is this okay as the statistical errors seem less ? (We also found that when the source is at (0,0,0), the statistical errors seem to increase for 1 mm^3 binning detector, when compared to source at (4.6,0,0). We couldn't understand why. Please throw some light on this. )

Kindly suggest any improvement to evaluate the dose rate at a point using FLUKA.

Can you provide some example of using "special user defined 3D binning" in USRBIN ?

Thanks and regards,
Raksha Rajput.