Re: Re: [fluka-discuss]: Problem using last version of FLUKA with Ubuntu 18.04

From: emilio <emilio_at_impcas.ac.cn>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 20:20:57 +0800 (GMT+08:00)

Dear Paola,

thank you very much for your answer.

The code I sent was written several years ago (2017, I think), and it was running at the time, however it seems that it's not compatible with the new version of FLUKA/Flair anymore. I corrected all the mistakes you pointed out (I directly eliminated all the Flair expressions, see the attached file Water-Target.inp), but it still does not run; if I try to run from terminal I get the same problem (no results and a very long .out file), moreover the terminal output is the following:

emilio_at_Sauron:~/Fluka-Simulation/piDAR/Water Target$ $FLUPRO/flutil/rfluka -M1 -N0 Water-Target &amp;
[7] 12850
emilio_at_Sauron:~/Fluka-Simulation/piDAR/Water Target$ $TARGET_MACHINE = Linux
$FLUPRO = /home/emilio/Fluka
/home/emilio/Fluka/flutil/rfluka: 148: [: /home/emilio/Fluka-Simulation/piDAR/Water: unexpected operator

Initial seed already existing
Running fluka in /home/emilio/Fluka-Simulation/piDAR/Water Target/fluka_12850cp: target 'Water' is not a directory
ln: target 'fort.1' is not a directory
/home/emilio/Fluka/flutil/rfluka: 262: [: /home/emilio/Fluka-Simulation/piDAR/Water: unexpected operator
/home/emilio/Fluka/flutil/rfluka: 262: [: /home/emilio/Fluka-Simulation/piDAR/Water: unexpected operator
/home/emilio/Fluka/flutil/rfluka: 262: [: /home/emilio/Fluka-Simulation/piDAR/Water: unexpected operator
/home/emilio/Fluka/flutil/rfluka: 262: [: /home/emilio/Fluka-Simulation/piDAR/Water: unexpected operator
/home/emilio/Fluka/flutil/rfluka: 269: [: /home/emilio/Fluka-Simulation/piDAR/Water: unexpected operator
/home/emilio/Fluka/flutil/rfluka: 275: [: /home/emilio/Fluka-Simulation/piDAR/Water: unexpected operator

================================ Running FLUKA for cycle # 1 =============================================
emilio_at_Sauron:~/Fluka-Simulation/piDAR/Water Target$

Do you have any idea what could be the problem?

To complicate even further the matter, I also wrote a very simple code, just to test that everything is working in a very simplified setting (see the attached file TestOldFlair.inp) and I'm able to run it without any problem using Flair (I didn't try to run by terminal, because it seems not relevant in this case).

Thank you for your help
BEst Regards
Emilio Ciuffoli

&gt; -----Original Messages-----
&gt; From: "Paola Sala" <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
&gt; Sent Time: 2020-09-28 22:03:56 (Monday)
&gt; To: emilio <emilio_at_impcas.ac.cn>
&gt; Cc: fluka-discuss_at_fluka.org
&gt; Subject: Re: [fluka-discuss]: Problem using last version of FLUKA with Ubuntu 18.04
&gt;
&gt; Hello
&gt; the strange thing is that the input you sent could never run, and the run
&gt; should crash while reading the input, well before reaching the start card.
&gt; There are FLAIR expressions in it: in orted to have FLUKA digest them,
&gt; uone should add a GLOBAL card with sdum=OLDFLAIR
&gt; The PHYSICS COALESCENCE card is empty, would not be accepted: what(1)
&gt; should be set to +1 or -1
&gt; There are estimators with repeated names: this is no longer accepted (to
&gt; avoid mistakes)
&gt;
&gt; Maybe you can try to run the input outside flair, to be sure of what is
&gt; really taken as input:
&gt;
&gt; $FLUPRO/flutil/rfluka -M1 -N0 Water-Target &amp;
&gt; (&amp; is to run it in the background)
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Hope this helps
&gt; Paola
&gt;
&gt; &gt; Dear FLUKA experts,
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; I have some problems running the latest release of FLUKA in Ubuntu 18.04.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; I used FLUKA some years ago (at least until 2017) without any problem;
&gt; &gt; recently I started a new project that requires some simulations, so I
&gt; &gt; installed the last version of FLUKA and Flair, however I had some
&gt; &gt; problems.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; First I was getting the error (in the file .log) "Fortran runtime error:
&gt; &gt; Incorrect extent in VALUE argument to DATE_AND_TIME intrinsic: is -2,
&gt; &gt; should be &gt;=8"
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Googoling a bit, I found out that the problem was that I had the wrong
&gt; &gt; version of gfortran (7.5). Indeed, even if I had installed both gfortran-7
&gt; &gt; and gfortran-8, the command "gfortran" was likend by default to version 7.
&gt; &gt; Namely:
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; emilio_at_Sauron:~/Fluka$ gfortran
&gt; &gt; gfortran gfortran-7 gfortran-8
&gt; &gt; emilio_at_Sauron:~/Fluka$ gfortran --version
&gt; &gt; GNU Fortran (Ubuntu 7.5.0-3ubuntu1~18.04) 7.5.0
&gt; &gt; Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
&gt; &gt; This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
&gt; &gt; warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
&gt; &gt; PURPOSE.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; (there were some problems while running make, I was getting some fatal
&gt; &gt; errors, but I didn't notice at the beginning)
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; I'm not very familiar with Linux, but I Googled a bit more and I was able
&gt; &gt; to change the version of gfrotran linked to the command using
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gfortran gfortran
&gt; &gt; /usr/bin/gfortran-8 60
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gfortran gfortran
&gt; &gt; /usr/bin/gfortran-7 40
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; sudo update-alternatives --config /gfortran
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; In this way I got
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; emilio_at_Sauron:~/Fluka$ gfortran --version
&gt; &gt; GNU Fortran (Ubuntu 8.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04) 8.4.0
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Now I'm able to install FLUKA correctly (I get no more fatal errors),
&gt; &gt; however my code still not cannot run.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Currently, if I try to run a FLUKA code (via Flair), I have an error in
&gt; &gt; the .out file, it will says " Unexpected end of input: START assumed"
&gt; &gt; so many7 times that the .out file will increase very rapidly in size until
&gt; &gt; I kill the process or it fills the entire HD.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; I tried to run again some old code, that was working with the previous
&gt; &gt; version of FLUKA, but I got the same results. In the attached files you
&gt; &gt; can find the input card and a "reduced" copy of the output file (I just
&gt; &gt; kept the first error line and cut all the rest, since otherwise it would
&gt; &gt; have been several GB). Please notice also that, in the temporary folder
&gt; &gt; created by Flair, the input card is present but empty, I have no idea
&gt; &gt; whether this is relevant or not.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; I should mention that I had some problems during the installation of
&gt; &gt; geoviewer for Flair, I found an answer on this mailing list
&gt; &gt; (http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/13766.html)
&gt; &gt; regarding a similar problem and I followed the instructions, changing
&gt; &gt; manually pow10 -&gt; exp10 in some files (of geoviewer, not FLUKA) to fix the
&gt; &gt; problem, however I cannot see how this could create my current problem.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Do you have any suggestions? Does anyone else had a similar problem?
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Thank you very much for your help
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Best Regards
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Emilio Ciuffoli
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Paola Sala
&gt; INFN Milano
&gt; tel. Milano +39-0250317374
&gt; tel. CERN +41-227679148
&gt;
</emilio_at_impcas.ac.cn></paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>