Re: [fluka-discuss]: Question about neutrino production in FLUKA

From: Andrea Celentano <andrea.celentano_at_ge.infn.it>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 13:52:20 +0100

Dear Paola,
thanks for your answer. I agree that, if a mu- decays, then it produces both a nu_mu and a nu_e_bar, while if it is captured by a nuclei, only a nu_mu is produced. However, in case of a capture:

mu- p -> n nu_mu

The energy of the emitted nu_mu is ~ 100 MeV, with an enlargement due to the Fermi motion of the proton inside the nucleus. This is visible in the spectrum that I obtained.

Instead, in case of a decay, mu- -> e- nu_mu nu_e_bar, the two neutrinos have energy less than ~ mu/2 ~ 50 MeV . Therefore, I was expecting to have the same number of nu_mu and nu_e_bar in this region of the spectrum.

Thanks,
Bests,
Andrea