Re: [fluka-discuss]: concrete activation, neutron point source

From: Stefan E. Mueller <stefan.mueller_at_hzdr.de>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2021 19:03:19 +0100 (CET)

Dear Angel,

if I understand you correctly, you want to compare two scenarios:

- using a pointlike neutron sourceterm, which isotropically irradiates the
concrete shell using the energy spectrum that you found in your previous
sudies

- using protons shooting on a water target as source, with the
secondary radiation produced by the protons in the target irradiating the
concrete shell.

From the inputs that you provided, it seems however that you can not
compare the two scenarios, because while the neutrons indeed emit
isotropically from the center, the proton beam starts at (0., 0., -1.cm)
outside the target, but then is also emitted isotropically - in this
scenario, most of the protons will not hit the target, but reach the
concrete and will activate it. Probably moving the proton source to the
center of the target or making it a beam in +z-direction would make the
two scenarios more comparable.

Cheers,

         Stefan

--
Stefan E. Mueller
Department of Information Services and Computing - Computational Science