[fluka-discuss]: The unit of quantity scored by MGDRAW

From: Ding, Qi <q.ding_at_fz-juelich.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 19:19:17 +0000

Dear FLUKA experts,

My simulation is a proton beam incident on a metal target(there exist water channels inside target).
I want to get the information about the positions of (p,n) reactions, so I use a customized mgdraw (usdraw entry) user routine to record the coordinates(x,y,z) of positions where (p,n) reactions take place.

and I used the coordinates (y,z) to get a figure (2D distribution) which shows the positions where (p, n) reactions take place in y(target width)-z(target depth) transversal area (as shown in Fig.1). All the red points represent the positions where neutrons produced by (p, n). For this I'd like to know the unit of this quantity or event?

And in order to evaluate neutron yield which produced by (p,n) reactions along target depth, I consider the number of (p,n) reactions as the amount of neutrons produced by (p,n). So I integrated the number of

(p,n) reactions and get the number of reactions(neutrons) in different target depth (like Fig.2). For my understanding the values at y-direction mean the number of neutrons produced by (p,n) reactions, and the unit should be [1/cm]. could you please tell me is it right?

The above is my personal understanding, if there is anything wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me.

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Best regards,

Qi Ding

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDir Volker Rieke
Prof. Dr. Frauke Melchior