Re: [fluka-discuss]: Dose equivalent at 100 cm form an isotropic source

From: Stefan E. Mueller <stefan.mueller_at_hzdr.de>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 12:30:04 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Raksha,

for an unshielded isotropic source, the particle fluence
(and thus also the Dose equivalent) is inversely proportional to the surface
of a sphere around the point of origin of the source (so it goes with
1/r^2). Therefore, moving your scorer farther away will reduce the
statistics in the bins, and correspondingly increase the uncertainty if
the binsize remains unchanged. Also with a shielding geometry this
argument in principle still holds (the farther you go away, the less
statistics you get), but the exact proportionality now depends on the
geometry and is difficult to estimate (that's why we use the Monte Carlo
method to calculate the particle distributions across the geometry).

As to how to chose which binning is optimal - as a rule of thumb, it is
the one for which you can achieve an uncertainty of 5% or better in a
reasonable amount of computation time. This may depend on how detailed
your geometry is modeled, in which part of the geometry you want to have
statistical convergence (in other words, an acceptable uncertainty) and
what quantity you are scoring.

To get an idea where your input is converging, it is often helpful to have
a 2- or 3-dimensional USRBIN and plot the uncertainty (checking
the "errors" box in FLAIR's plotting section will display the uncertainty
in % for each bin).

"Variance reduction" techniques can help to improve statistical
convergence, see the lecture material on "Biasing" on one of the FLUKA
courses. In your case, it may be worthwhile to divide your shielding sphere
into several spherical shells and increase the importance gradually
towards larger radii using the "BIASING" card for each shell region (using
factors of 2. in the WHAT(3) is usually a good start, e.g. innermost shell
get 1., next shell gets 2., next shell gets 4., etc.).

Cheers,

         Stefan

--
Stefan E. Mueller
Department of Information Services and Computing - Computational Science