[fluka-discuss]: SOURCE routine for neutron source

From: Ophoven, Niklas <n.ophoven_at_fz-juelich.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 15:25:56 +0000

Dear FLUKA experts,

so far there was no need for me to modify any of the available user routines in FLUKA, but now I have to do so. Iam using FLUKA with the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS software.

In principle my simulation is quite simple:

I want to simulate a rectangular shaped neutron source (homogenously distributed in a cartesian volume source with emission direction into z-axis) that hits a rectangular shaped target of same dimensions made of terbium(III) chloride hexahydrate.

So far I have managed to copy the SOURCE.f file from the FLUKA directory, but the compilation $FLUPRO/flutil/fff NSource.f (source file is attached) still yields some errors. I spent some time now on solving the errors with material from FLUKA courses and old, similar questions in this mailing list. However, as Iam not an expert in Fortran, I would appreciate any kind of help or guidance you could give me there.

I want to load in the spectrum data in a histogram form, i.e. energy bins and relative emission probabilities. The left column in the file shows the energy bin boundaries, the right column gives the flux values. Note, that the energy boundaries on the left are lower and upper boundaries, so that the left column is bigger by one line compared to the right column. When I would simply divide the flux in each bin over the total (integral) flux, would this be sufficient for FLUKA to reconstruct the shape of the spectrum?

I will load the spectrum data with an OPEN card in the input file (see attachment). The data got the logical unit number 21, is it sufficient to put "21" before the file ending for FLUKA to recognize that file adequately?

Any kind of comments and guidance is of great help for me, thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Niklas

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDir Volker Rieke
Karsten Beneke (stellv. Vorsitzender), Dr. Astrid Lambrecht,
Prof. Dr. Frauke Melchior