Re: bragg peak

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:50:04 +0100

Hi Denis,

>I would like to create the bragg curve using a heavy ion beam @ 25AGev
>on a piece of graphite. I was wondering if one can use Fluka for that and
>wwhat will be the correct way to plot this bragg curve ( dE/dx as a
>function of Z depth cm) )

definitely you can use FLUKA to get the Bragg curve. You have to score
energy deposition density with a USRBIN mesh (either cartesian or
cylindrical) covering your target and then, for each longitudinal bin
(along the beam direction), integrate over the transverse plane, thus
getting dE/dz in GeV/cm.
In order to perform yourself the integration, you could access the USRBIN
summary file (e.g., the formatted version produced by
$FLUPRO/flutil/usbrea, which applies to the
unformatted $FLUPRO/flutil/usbsuw output).
On the other hand, the new FLAIR version is able to extract from the
(unformatted) USRBIN summary file a 1D histogram, giving as a function of
z the energy deposition density AVERAGED over the transverse plane. In
this case the normalization of the curve [in GeV/cm3 units] will depend on
the area [cm2] of the considered transverse section (larger the area,
lower the average). If you consider the whole transverse section
impacted, wider meshes will lower the average, but the product
average*area [GeV/cm] will obviously remain the same.

Ciao

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti
CERN-AB