Re: [fluka-discuss]: Monte Carlo spectrometry

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 14:37:01 +0100

Dear Aleksander,

It seems to me that the information contained in the reference you quote
is not complete. I suspect that the "mM/L " unit applies only to the
creation of nanoparticles, while the addition of gold to the gel is
given in mM..without specifying the volume (or mass) of the gel.

Thus..we do not know the percentage.

I agree that a minimum amount of gold is necessary to start seeing some
effect. However, I tried to play with the concentration of gold, and  as
soon as I see some visible effect, I I also see the gold K-Xrays at 67,
69 and 78 keV, as well as a general reduction and distortion of the
spectrum with maybe a more pronounced absorption just above 80keV.
Similar effect was observed, for instance, in

https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/865283 <https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/865283>

I do not understand how the plots  you quote were produced (and I fully
trust Penelope for this job!!), sorry!

Maybe a better understanding of the experimental conditions (size,
concentration..) could help.

Regards

PAola